[sw-l] Downloading Firefox is not hard...

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at SUNEIDESIS.COM
Fri Jan 21 20:52:35 UTC 2005

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> wrote:

> Outlook Express is not a web browser. It is an email program. You can
> still use Outlook Express for your email. We are talking about a web
> browser. Internet Explorer, for example, is a web browser. And Firefox
> is another web browser, that works better for SignMaker.

If you're downloading Firefox to be your web browser you might also want
to download Thunderbird, which is the accompanying email program. As
Firefox works better than Internet Explorer so Thunderbird (is said to)
works better than Outlook Express.

> How long does it take to download? That depends on your computer. The
> only way you can find out, is to try.

And whether you are using a modem or some form of broadband. The Windows
download of Firefox is about 5Mb. Took 90seconds over my broadband
line. For Thunderbord the file is about 6Mb and took 2minutes. My
broadband line is 512Kb/s but it's shared between several users here.

Can't tell you how long the installations take as I use Linux here.

> Once you download, you will have 2 web browsers...Internet Explorer and
> Firefox. Use Firefox when you want to use SignMaker...You can still use
> Internet Explorer for other things.

Once you've used Firefox for SignMaker you won't want to use Internet
Explorer for anything. :-| Firefox is designed by users not web designers
so can obliterate things like pop-ups. Thunderbird, also designed by
users, has features for dealing with spam. I think once you've used it
you'll never go back to Outlook Express. Back in the days when I worked in
I.T. Outlook was known as Lookout --- and for very good reasons that name
changes continues.

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!