[sw-l] Bristol

Shane Gilchrist Ó hEorpa shane.gilchrist.oheorpa at FRANCISMAGINN.ORG
Tue Jan 25 10:58:22 UTC 2005

Val,

More than happy to help out re: Gallaudet.

University of Bristol tried to get the sign-writing system off the ground -
but it never really hit off - but I was informed by someone inside the new
Institute of BSL (or is it the BSL Academy) that it will be included in the
proposed GCSE in BSL - but why can't it be taught in the proposed BSL
Curriculum?

Shane

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
[mailto:owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu] On Behalf Of Valerie Sutton
Sent: 21 January 2005 17:11
To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Subject: [sw-l] Gallaudet using SignBank?...smile

SignWriting List
January 21, 2005

On Jan 20, 2005, at 9:53 AM, Shane Gilchrist Ó hEorpa wrote:
> Have anyone written to the President of Gally about this?
> Would be very interested in his reply. Shane

Good idea, Shane! I have done that once years ago, and he was very
polite. A nice person. And he was nice enough to say he was amazed and
impressed with SignWriting. And I believe that he was sincere. But
Gallaudet does not back any one theory officially...so what could he
do? He can't force anyone. However, if I wrote and offered free copies
of SignBank to all of the teachers on the Gallaudet campus, maybe that
would stimulate something without the President feeling pressured to
back it...He will simply be offering the free software to any teacher
or researcher on campus who wants to participate...I will try that in
February and I will keep you informed!

Meanwhile, you can help me. When I am ready to offer SignBank to the
Gallaudet campus, I will need some of you to help me write email to the
President of Gallaudet at the same time, saying that you use
SignWriting and hope others on campus will too...Will any of you be
willing to help me with this?!...smile...Val ;-)