[sw-l] SW day in Brussels

Shane Gilchrist Ó hEorpa shane.gilchrist.oheorpa at FRANCISMAGINN.ORG
Tue Jan 25 13:51:04 UTC 2005

Ingvild,

> In my experience, deaf people are master communicators. I guess
> we have to use whatever works, which may be written English with
> 'natural signing' and mouthing (with or without voice). Depends
> on the group size, and the particular people in the group.

Fluent signers are master communicators :D - for instance, our Kathleen here
isn't Deaf but a very good communicator - I can communicate with many
Deafies across Europe - but not all - it depends on how great their sign
languages are first.

Get rid of that myth, will yah? ;)

However if we go ahead with the SW day in Brussels at Kasterlinden (where
SignWriting is being taught), I am more than happy to play the "typist" -
some of you will have a LCD projector and I ll play the interpreter -
whatever is being signed and I ll type it out in English.

That's if we can't find enough funding for this - that is something we need
to focus on - sign language teaching is a very important thing - but we
Europeans haven't done so on the European level, mmmh?

Shane