[sw-l] Reading Diacritics in SignMail program...

Thu Jan 27 18:09:58 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
January 27, 2005

Lucyna Dlugolecka wrote:
> Yes, that's true. I can save the diacritics and the translation box
> does even recognize them, only the e-mail box does not. But now I
> don't use the diacritics. Although we can type them as usually as we
> write them with a pen, many people don't use them in e-mails; being
> too lazy to :-/. A text written without diacritics is understandable
> althgouh some words may be misunderstood, especially by a person who
> is not fluent in Polish.

That is interesting, Lucy...OK. If other Polish people write their
Polish email without diacritics, I think for now, we should not try to
update the SignMail program in SignPuddle...But I appreciate it, that
you informed us...I bet it is also true in the Sign Translate program
on SignPuddle? Try it for us...Click on the Translate icon and you will
find a similar program to the SignMail program...if it is also true on
the Translate program, then it is connected to the way the programs
access the glosses you have typed...Maybe someday they can become
sophisticated enough to read diacritics as well...But we are overloaded
with work right now...

I hope you enjoy using SignWriting on the web! Thank you for bringing
Polish Sign Language to our visitors!