[sw-l] SignSpelling Rules and Guidelines

Lucyna Dlugolecka deafie at GMX.NET
Thu Jan 27 20:24:25 UTC 2005

My guess is that the signs from the left panel are for fingers moving all in "one line" evenly, whereas the signs from the right panel are for fingers trilling unevely.

:-D

Lucyna
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Charles Butler
  To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
  Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2005 9:11 PM
  Subject: Re: [sw-l] SignSpelling Rules and Guidelines

  I believe the ones on the left are single motions by one to four fingers, in this case a movement downward from the first joint.  The second group are trills (uncounted movements up and down) from the same point, the first finger.

  You'd use the first for "bye bye" in ASL, and the second for "fingerspell" in ASL.

   (bye, fingers move as a unit, twice), (all fingers trill)

  Is this a good example?

  Charles

  Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> wrote:
    SignWriting List
    January 27, 2005

    Tini Pel wrote:
    > As far as I know, they are the same except in the right panel you do
    > the
    > movement twice.Boy, I hope I am right. A good lesson, Tini.SignWriting
    > List

    Ha! I am so glad you answered, Tini...No. I am sorry to say that is not
    correct...

    Other List members...please answer this question...I need a few more
    people to answer before I teach the symbols...