[sw-l] poem

Tini Pel tinipel at ONLINK.NET
Sun Jan 30 20:03:09 UTC 2005

Hello Valerie,

Thank you for the compliments and mentioning on the list about the poem. It has been a long time since I did Sign Writing a poem. It made me sit with my dictionary again, which was a very good exercise.
I am still working on your family poem off and on. But I will eventually get it.

You wrote:
I have a question about your term CESL...for Canadian-English-Sign-Language...That is usually called ASL, is it not? Or is CESL a separate and unique Sign Language? I never heard that term before...

The reason I said Canadian English. Over the years I have noticed that ESL from England at times, is slightly different, as is the Quebec French with the French from France
I have been working together with a deaf person who was at Bellville . You may remember me talking about him. He use to correct me often by saying that a certain word in ASL was different from his language and at times became upset about it. Ofcourse I was taking lessons from him so I had to follow his language.
I am also working with a group of school teachers. Since deaf children are now schooled in the elementary schools, the teachers want to learn to sign in English for the purpose  of the children to learn to read. They don't want ASL because of the grammar.
I had them read the poem and they loved it.
I did not know what else to call it, so therefore Canadian English. If I am wrong I am open for corrections. Please do so.

I have been following your latest lessons and printed them all out, so when I have time over week-ends I will try it out.
Thank you so much for that !!!!!
L.I.F.E.
Tini.