abrupt stops in signing

Ingvild Roald iroald at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 8 15:44:02 UTC 2005

Thank you, Valerie,

I agree with you on these spellings. I first thought 'but how would we write 
tense movement, if we use the tense marker this way?', but then I realised 
that for movements that feels tense, it is the hands and maybe the face/ 
mouth that is tense, and the marker will go there. So a tense marker (or 
two, as I would prefer in this instance) at the end of an arrow will show 
the abrupt stopping just fine.

Thank you for showing me,


>From: "Valerie Sutton" <sutton at signwriting.org>
>Reply-To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
>To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
>Subject: Re: [sw-l] abrupt stops in signing
>Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 15:51:36 -0700
>SignWriting List
>July 7, 2005
>>On Jul 7, 2005, at 12:33 PM, Ingvild Roald wrote:
>>Hi Val and any other person who may have a suggestion:
>>I have today put some new sign into the Norwegian SignPudle.
>>One of them is 'SKUFFET', which means 'dissapointed'. It is signed  like a 
>>slap in the face, but stops short just before hitting the  face. The 
>>movement is fast. How do I write the stop?
>Hello Ingvild!
>I have now added three different ways to write the abrupt stop. There  are 
>now 4 ways to write SKUFFET in the Norwegian SignPuddle. You can  always 
>delete those you do not like...here are the three I just added...

More information about the Sw-l mailing list