Hello to all...I'm new to this list...

skoreapv83 at FUSE.NET skoreapv83 at FUSE.NET
Sat Jul 23 23:18:46 UTC 2005

Antony,

You definitely have some good points (smile). Yes I understand that SW may NOT be a good substitute for interpreters' services, but I am denied an interpreter every time I request one. I stay up-to-date on the latest information & research, so physical deafness or deafblindness should NOT be a prerequisite to being granted a free interpreter. Oh well, all I ever hear is "I/we don't give a f***!!!" every time I tell people I should NOT be denied an interpreter.

Later,

Adam Paul Valerius

-----Original Message-----
    From: "Antony Daamen"<adaamen at OPTUSNET.COM.AU>
    Sent: 7/22/05 8:20:34 PM
    To: "sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu"<sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu>
    Subject: Re: [sw-l] Hello to all...I'm new to this list...
      Hi Adam,

    I am very pleased to meet you! I am Antony Daamen from Queensland Australia.
    I am in agreement with most of what you are saying. Just one thing, I think
    that there will always be a need for interpreters. I am an interpreter, and
    I wish my services would be obsolete, but I think that writing notes either
    SW or English is a very poor substitute for the smooth (or smoother)
    communication possible with an interpreter.

    I do agree that no-one can "take over" a language. I am from Holland
    (Netherlands for those that like to be precise), and moved to Australia. I
    have a Dutch accent, but speak fluent English. Did I take over English? No,
    it is a means of comunicating, like Auslan (Australian Sign Language)
    tactile Signing for the blind Deaf or whatever. Sign English -educated
    Deafpeople sign different then children of Deaf adults, who sign different
    then those taught orally and later learned Sign. Non of these take over a
    language. They just want to communicate!

    Sorry for my ramblings,

    Again pleased to meet you Adam, and I will keep your email, as an example of
    the benefits of SW

    Antony

    .