Verb changes in ASL (continual motion, repeated motion, tongue flicks)

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jul 30 00:07:49 UTC 2005

Stephan and others,
Some other signs with double motion to indicate "over time" or "duration".
Wait for quite a while (one could add an exasperated facial expression )
Here's one you asked about, showing careful writing to show forward, tense, slow motion, and back arc under relaxed.  It was a challenge to write. 
Tongue flicks like (roubarse - to have been robbed) in Brazilian Sign Language (Libras)
 ROUBARSE (eyes and tongue flick from side to side). 
The Tongue flicks are 03-07-001-01-01-01 in IMWA (first position).  
I've merged the tongue flicks with eye motion (so it's actually double-layers of heads).
Hope these help.  It's always fun to rise to a challenge.
Charles Butler

Charles Butler <chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM> wrote:
1) The Brazilian sign language sign for "I've been robbed" (se roubar) is entirely a tongue flick.  The tongues are located in the fourth column.  Sign Bank seems to have developed a glitch so I can't pull it up.
2) Elliptical circle that repeats.  Most of the circles have single or double motion on them.  Here is the sign for "continue indefinitely".    
The both-hands arrow on the circle indicates indefinitely repeated motion.  
Most of the ellipsis in the IMWA have single and double motion variants.
3) I created "flew on and on" (like in some story) to show fast forward and then relaxed return to give you how I would write it.  I'd write the forward motion with a "tense" marker and then the back and under loop with a "loose" marker" if you wanted to write detail.  One could leave off the "loose" marker.  Almost every sign with a double-forward has a scarcely detectable backward loop which can be brought out for emphasis if one slows the sign down for storytelling.
Hope this works for you. 

Stuart Thiessen <sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG> wrote:
I was doing some work for one of my classes and I realized I wasn't 
sure how to write some movement changes on some of the verbs and some 
mouth movements.

1) How do you write tongue movements like flicks and so forth?

2) ASL has 2 "circular" motions that are not available in the IMWA at 
this time. One is an elliptical circle that repeats. It is used to 
change the verb to continuous aspect. The other is an "upside-down D" 
shape. It represents a tense production of the sign and then a slow 
return to the onset of the sign. So for signs that move outward, it 
forms a "D" shape with the straight portion of the D being the floor 
plane and the curved portion going under the floor. Am I right that we 
don't have this, or what combination of existing symbols would be best 
for these?



-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <>

More information about the Sw-l mailing list