[sw-l] SignWriter - feature "gloss" input method

Wed Jun 1 00:31:22 UTC 2005

Hi Barbara,

I'm glad you like the ideas.  As an editor of the SignPuddle 2.0
dictionary, I updated your sign's labels.  I identified the keywords and
indented the description.  If you change the display to Words, the list
will look much better.  New keywords (or phases) can be added on new
lines.  I will clean up the input and display and it should work very
nicely.

If you really want to play around, you should check out the security
updates.  I can make you an administrator for the dictionary, just send
a name and email address to slevin at signpuddle.net.  Currently you can
only update the one sign you created.  As an editor you could edit any
sign.  As a manager, you can invite other members and select editors.
As an administrator you can change the type of dictionary.

The online help is also exciting.  Check it out for a growing list of
useful information.

Next month's Beta will include documents.  Documents contain IMWA
symbols and Unicode characters (maybe images).  The documents contain
new signs dictionary signs, and updated dictionary signs.  You should be
able to read and write the dictionary the same way you read and write a
document. I'm not sure if the term SignText still applies because it
will do so much more.  I'm hoping to impress Stuart with this one.  It
should become a real writers platform.  Sorry Stefan, still not typing.

It will be adequate for email, web publishing, wiki publishing, and
PDF.   Statistics will be possible for symbol usage and sign usage.

I am thinking of SignPuddle 2.0 as computer aided drafting for
dictionaries and documents using the IMWA Symbols and SignWriting Rules.

I do believe that manual signing, handwriting or typing is still the
best way to write any original work of sign language.  I support the
idea of typing, but SignPuddle 2.0 will not work with any SignWriters
version until they adopt the IMWA standard with SSS id numbers.  Writing
with verticle lanes can only be done by hand.  Next month's beta should
change that.

Thanks for your interest,
-Steve