[sw-l] POLAND... not sure how to write Europa

Wed Jun 1 19:23:49 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
June 1, 2005

Lucyna Dlugolecka wrote:
> Val, the thumb is not forward, it touches the chin and the top of
> the palm is parallel to the wall (the fingers to the ceiling). Then
> the hand moves in a curve forward-down, finishing with the thumb
> up, not touching the chest.

Great. We are communicating well. I wonder if the handshape in the
beginning is the same handshape at the end, except that the thumb is
touching the chin in the beginning? If so, then it should be the same
handshape symbol...not two different handshape symbols...because at
the moment, these are two separate handshapes. The first one has the
thumb tight against the other fingers. But the second handshape in
your writing, has the thumb extended straight out and not tight
against the other fingers...If you want the thumb extended straight
out in both positions, try writing the sign with the same
handshape...smile...I would choose the second handshape and place
that at the beginning too...what do you think?