[sw-l] Re: AUSTRALIA Sign for Australia - black line etc

Thu Jun 2 16:13:52 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
June 2, 2005

Ingvild Roald wrote:
> The full black line should be the shoulder line seen from 'behind'. If
> seen from the top, I thought there should be either a beak in the line
> (like there is for the handshapes), or a circle representing the
> head. Or
> am I wrong?

Hello Everyone, Ingvild, Lucyna, Antony and Stefan -
I didn't want to answer Lucyna's question about why Stefan placed a
line underneath all his signs in the attached example, because I
assumed Stefan would answer the question...but now I feel I should
step in...

Years ago, James Shepard-Kegl in Nicaragua, and Stefan in Germany,
started using a line underneath any sign that is a noun, or a proper
name. The reason? I believe it was because they are teaching Deaf
children and they needed a way to teach grammar to their students.
And since they were using SignWriter DOS and typing SignWriting from
left to right, the line was not confused with other punctuation or
shoulders...

I personally would never underline a sign like that, because I write
in vertical columns, and those lines could be misunderstood as the
Period, or end of sentence marking...And I agree, Ingvild, that it
could be confused with Shoulder lInes too...

So I actually did not like that line underneath to show nouns,
because I don't think, that in everyday documents we underline or
mark the parts in a sentence...that is more for the classroom...for
Deaf children...

So this is Stefan's diagram...it shows signs written for his Deaf
students, with underlining to show nouns...

Stefan - if I have misunderstood what you wanted, please forgive!