AW: [sw-l] Re: AUSTRALIA Sign for Australia - black line etc

Thu Jun 2 19:35:53 UTC 2005

Hi Valerie and everybody, -

sorry for the delay -

first of all - You are right Valerie - of course this line is not a shoulder
line -- on the other hand it isn´t a marker for a noun either (smile)

Well what is it? ha ?

Valerie your guess is almost correct - ..

When I started to learn SW in 1999 I followed an idea of James Shepard-Kegl
to underline proper names -

In the meantime we get so used to it and I am still convinced that this is a
wonderful support for any fast and easy reading of SW-documents.

Once you get this information - that it is a proper name of a place or
person - it is not your fault if you do not know this sign. So you need
additional information ... in order not to get confused with other signs
that will mislead you. More of that You can ask yourself whether you know
what person, town, river, country the scribe is signing about.

Ingvild and Valerie - I would like to swear (smile) that there has been
never ever the chance of any confusion with shoulder lines or punctuation -
if the reader is informed about the strategy.

Valerie wrote: " I personally would never underline a sign like that,..."
" So I actually did not like that line underneath to show nouns,
because I don't think, that in everyday documents we underline or
mark the parts in a sentence...that is more for the classroom...for
Deaf children..."

I feel confused!

Perhaps in my ears of a foreigner this is a pretty dramatic refusal - almost
kind of devaluation

Hm - ok - Somehow I feel a little bit sorry to practice a spelling-style
that is so much against your attitude.

But it works so wonderfully. And I guess not only within the field of deaf
education ;-))

Stefan ;-))