[sw-l] Underlining proper names in vertical columns...

Fri Jun 3 04:50:15 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
June 2, 2005

> Mark Penner wrote:
> Aha. In vertical Japanese, when you underline a sentence or word in
> a book or on a page, your line goes to the side of the character
> (s), not underneath it. That way it doesn't become part of the
> character. I don't know that I recall seeing something printed that
> way to start with, but thats how highlighting was done before the
> days of the fancy see-through highlighting pens. Anyway, when
> you're writing columns, it would seem a line on the side would be
> the natural way to "underline." (or do we need to call it
> "sidelining"?  haha)

Hello Mark and Everyone!
This is really delicious...I am smiling from ear to ear...Look at
underlining in Japanese! The underlining is side-lining...you are
right...James and Mark...I guess this is the way it is done with
other vertical writing systems!!....but notice how they had the same
problems we have, and they had to come up with a solution...so this
is one solution...or using color is another....