[sw-l] Underlining proper names in vertical columns...

Fri Jun 3 14:53:14 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
June 3, 2005

Lucyna Dlugolecka wrote:

> I'm back now and continuing.
> Well, I think there may be several ways to mark proper names.
>
> 1. Lines according to Stefan W.
> 2. Coloring -- but only for educational purposes. Colors are used
> in writing spoken languages for grammar purposes too. But it may be
> inconvenient in everyday use, for example when writing a note with
> a pencil to somebody.
> 3. Fingerspelling - but I think it should be also "highlighted" in
> a way for proper names. Maybe, with two "/" marks, used like
> quotation marks?
> 4. Spoken language alphabet transcription put in square brackets
> just after the SW proper name sign, like [Lucyna]. (Translations in
> brackets are also commonly used in spoken language writing).
> 5. Vertical line.

------------------------

Hello Everyone -
Thank you for this excellent discussion. I just found out that Steve
Slevinski is planning to include, in the new SignPuddle 2.0, a way to
automatically colorize different parts of a sentence, and also a
default color for any sign that is a proper name...So for those who
have computers, color is an option...

And offcially, the underline is the official symbol for a proper name
when writing horizontally -

Many thanks!! And have a great day....

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWritingSite