AW: [sw-l] Re: AUSTRALIA Sign for Australia - black line etc

Ingvild Roald iroald at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 4 09:38:23 UTC 2005

Actually, even if I've never tried the 'underline' for proper names, I think
some sort of marker is a good idea. We may go all the way back to the
Egytian 'cartouche' for Faraos' names, and even today all (most?) languages
that use the Latin alphabet, will use a capital for a proper name. True,
some will use it for more that the proper names, like for all nouns
(German?) or for derivates of the proper name (English), but at least this
use of a typographical marker makes the proper name stand out, and you may,
as Stefan says, be excused if you do not know that proper name right away.
So some sort of symbol could be used.

Ingvild