[sw-l] Mixing plane

Wed Jun 8 15:22:29 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
June 8, 2005

Dear SW List, Charles, Sergio and Stefan -

Thanks for this discussion. Take a look at the attached diagram...

Number 2 and 3 mean the same thing. Both show the palm of the hand
facing the chest (not the other symbols in the circles...only the
ones pointing to the side are the same), but number 1 means something
else...it means the palm of the hand is facing the floor.

Sergio was correct to ask if there was a rule as to when we write
with number 2, and when we write with number 3, since technically
they mean the same thing. And I think we are agreed that the white
palm...number 3...is easier to read...a less complicated symbol so it
is read faster.

I believe, Charles, in your original message to Sergio, that you had
confused number 2 with number 1...That is understandable, since when
you learned SignWriting with me back in 1984 at Gallaudet, number 2
didn't even exist yet! We did not start using the Top View on hands
until the end of the 1980's...