[sw-l] translatins the name of SignWriting

Lucyna Dlugolecka deafie at GMX.NET
Thu Jun 9 07:56:54 UTC 2005

> Hello Lucyna and Everyone -
> A translation of the Lessons in SignWriting textbook in Polish would
> be a true gift! Thank you for all your efforts, Lucyna.
>
> One tip...Anny in French-Switzerland just finished a Microsoft Word
> document...a translation of the Lessons book into French and French-
> Swiss Sign Language. It is a handy document for other translators,
> because you can open the English-ASL PDF document, which cannot be
> changed, and simultaneously open the French-Swiss Word document, and
> compare the two documents. Then you can change the Word document from
> French to Polish, without having to re-do the diagrams...Anny did a
> great job getting the diagrams into Microsoft Word...thank you for
> this, Anny!
>
> You can download the French-Swiss book on this web page:
>
> http://www.SignWriting.org/swiss
>
> The Word Documents are 6, 7, 8, 9 on the page...
>
> Regarding the translation of the trademark, SignWriting...

Thank you, Val, for your explanations. Well, I think I won't translate the
name into Polish although my professor would probably like me to do so. Now
the world is becoming a global village and there is not need to translate
proper names, two names for one thing would be confusing :-). The name
SigWriting is diffucult to spell for those in Poland who don't know English
but English is commonly known among young people. This does not concern Deaf
people but the Deaf would just sign the name in PJM.
But there is another issue my professor has raised. Namely, all nouns,
including foreign language nouns, are to inflect for case. And we have 7
grammar cases. So, for example the genitive for SignWriting would be
SignWritingu, and the dative would be SignWritingowi! My professor says it
looks macaronic!! But I don't care about that, the noun marketing inflects
too! grin...

Lucyna