[sw-l] POLAND doubts about the strike symbol + werb/noun

Lucyna Dlugolecka deafie at GMX.NET
Mon Jun 13 08:22:31 UTC 2005

> Hi Lucy,
>
> we have same sign in CZJ as in PJM. I don't use #, but just *.
> see czech sign:
> http://signbank.org/signpuddle/sgn-CZ/search.php?sign=pracovat&search=*&type=
> (it is not written there as PRACE, but PRACOVAT (werb)
>
> btw. Lucyna, I like to ask you (and also I think mostly non-english users
> of SW) about something differend.
> We, same as you, have signs, which means both - werb and noun (or more).
> How do you label this signs? (werb / noun, both) or do you write two
> signs? One with werb label and second with noun label?
>
> thanks
> Honza

Hi Hozna -- that's a problem, indeed. Well, I have assumed a few rules:
1. Each sign has one equivalent in Polish.
2. Polish synonyms, for which there is one sign in PJM, are entered in
SignPuddle separately.
3. According to Rule 3: all the Polish equivalents are entered in their
basic forms, i.e.
    - nouns and personal pronouns in the nominative
    - adjectives, demonstratives and possessives in the masculine gender in
the nominative
    - cardinal numbers in the Roman numerals
    - ordinal numbers as adjectives in the masculine gender in the
nominative
4. Derivates from verbs or nouns which are signed basically in the same way
these verbs or nouns are, are enetered separately only if they (the
derivates) are commonly signed in the meaning of the derivate form. It's
difficult to explain, I myself rely on my feeling here. For example, both
the signs PRACA (work) and PRACOWAĆ (to work) are often used in their
"Polish" meanings. Moreover, many sign verbs are done by a longer movement
than sign verbs are. So, I entered PRACA, PRACOWAĆ and PRACOWAĆ_2 but no
PRACOWNIK (a worker) as the sign is the same as PRACA but used more rarely
in this meaning.
5. However, there is also a problem with adjectives that are derivates from
proper names. For example, CZECHY (Czech Republic) and CZESKI (Czech). The
words are signed in the same way -- should I enter the sign twice? I did but
I'm not sure it's right.

Honza, I have noticed that you enter several meanings to one sign in
SignPuddle, for example TY-TA-TO. In the beginning I was doing the same but
then realized it was difficult to write an email in SW using Polish glosses
as I had to write the glosses just as they are entered in SignPuddle. Plus,
if you look for TO in your SignPuddle, you don't see it where it should be
in the alphabetical order but you have to look for TY first.
So now, I do everything to make the searching easier.
I have a Polish mailing list we discuss sign language, Deaf and SW issues
and I'll try to disuss the problems there too.

Lucyna