AW: [sw-l] Spelling of ASL Wallet (retry #3)

Wed Jun 15 18:13:40 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
June 15, 2005

> Stefan Wöhrmann wrote:
> the only sign that is obvious and easy to understand  - from my
> point of
> view - with my ideas of reading and writing is #6 !!!!!!!!
>
> I cannot understand the interpretation of the wrist-flexing in your
> spelling
> - at least I would get a completely different performance ( perhaps a
> different kind of wallet)
>
> Interesting to me - and I see that for the first time !!!!! - your
> decision
> to add a thin line in order to describe a follow-up movement -
> (really interesting and good support in several other cases - I
> will keep
> that in my mind.)

----------------------------------

Hello Stefan and Everyone!
This is a helpful message, because it brings up several important
points. The vertical line that is between the sections of the sign in
number 6, is called a Hyphen. We use hypens in English, for example,
in the word re-try...it is a little line between sections of a
word...some words in English require hypens and others do not...

So the Hyphen Line in SignWriting is located in the Punctuation
Symbols. It is a thin single line that divides sections of one sign.
And it can be written either horizontally or vertically...in the
attached you can see number 6 and 7...

And that was why I was concerned for mis-readings of the underlining
for proper names, because I was afraid it might get confused with
either shoulder lines, or possibly the Hyphen Line...

And the 8th example in the attached is another possible
writing...showing two pressing motions without using the Wrist-Axial
movement arrows...The use of the Wrist arrows is not wrong, but it is
a rare usage...and I can certainly see how you could mis-read it,
Stefan...so if we could eliminate those arrows but create a standard
for two pressings, to be written like number 8, then we could
simplify the writing...

Your thoughts?...