[sw-l] Spelling of ASL Wallet (retry #3)

Wed Jun 15 22:34:17 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
June 15, 2005

Thank you, Stefan and Charles, for your interesting discussions of
the flexing motion symbols, standardized spellings etc. There is no
question that these symbols need to be defined a little better. I am
only the symbol person, and I really mean that. It will take time for
us to see which spellings really work, and no one can know until we
see the signs used a little with deaf children, deaf adults and
hearing students who are learning to write signs...In the past I
assumed that certain things worked, only to find I was wrong, so I am
just being practical. That is the why SignPuddle is useful...so we
can add signs and discuss them...

And standardized spellings developed slowly in spoken languages....it
took centuries to get standardized spellings in England...We are
going much faster in SignWriting!

Meanwhile, I want to discuss the Flexing motion symbols combined with
pressing the hands together, tomorrow, and I look forward to the
discussion...Thanks to you both.

I am sure you all know that I am supposed to get bed rest half days,
and I have not been doing that lately and I have to go back to
that...So I look forward to being back online tomorrow!

Have a wonderful evening everyone!