[sw-l] question on sign notation

Sun Jun 19 19:05:57 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
June 19, 2005

Regarding the sign for the organization named ARILS in French-
Switzerland...I believe the sign has a complete opening into a five
hand and then a complete closing into a fist, and the opening and
closings are sequential...one finger after the other...so that is
like a fan opening and then the fan closes...

The symbols with the sequential-dots showing a fan-like opening or
closing one finger at a time, were designed to go around a hand with
straight fingers, like a 5 or 4 handshape...and they seem to work
well with signs that have one complete opening or closing...one fan-
like movement...but when we try to write the sign for ARILS with two
fans, the writing starts to look too complicated for everyday use, in
my opinion. Maybe for a phonetic pronunciation guide, the detailed
writing would be good. But you can see by the attached diagram, I
would assume that people will read the sign ok, without the fanning
information...

Now that I have shown you some ways to write this, Anny, I will leave
it to you...If you want to delete some of my samples in the French-
Swiss SignPuddle, go right ahead...Maybe talk it over with your group
first...smile...and tell me what you like best...I need to know for
future writing...Val ;-)