[sw-l] challenge for programmers - SSS-ID mapping onto unicode

Thu Jun 23 15:33:58 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
June 23, 2005

> On Jun 22, 2005, at 6:16 PM, Bill Reese wrote:
> Like I said, this idea was probably discussed before so excuse me
> for rehashing it but, given the broad range in handshapes that's in
> SignWriting today, would it be possible to use them as a basis and
> work up every combination of handshape that can be derived?
>
> The reason I'm asking is that there seems to be a finite limit on
> possible handshapes, even though it is quite large.  If that limit
> can be defined and possibly reached, then the IMWA would be a more
> complete "alphabet" of movement writing.

Hello Bill -
Yes. This could be done. But it is painstaking work to add any
handshape, because each handshape has 96 positions, so obviously I
only add those that are the most urgent. Meawnwhile there are a huge
amount of movement symbols, facial expressions and body movement that
has not been added at all, so adding handshapes that have not been
requested yet, will have to wait for last...smile..

But that is a good idea and maybe that can happen someday!