Ethiopia New Signs!!

Valerie Sutton Sutton at SIGNBANK.ORG
Mon Jun 27 12:39:14 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
June 27, 2005

> On Jun 27, 2005, at 4:15 AM, eyasu tamene wrote:
> I tried 'Greeting' again I wonder if I could get it now.  I
> inquired you regarding the more complex ESL alphabet. I tried to
> describe you verbally last time. How am I going to describe them?
> My quiestion in short is- Are all the signs in the Sign Puddles
> represent SL of the world?

Hello Eyasu and Everyone!
I am sorry I did not answer your other questions about the other
symbols used in the Ethiopian Manual Alphabet. The answer is YES...we
should have all of the symbols used in 30 signed languages. At least
that is what we are trying to accomplish. So for example, in the
American Manual Alphabet we use 26 symbols, but we have close to 200
handshapes in SignPuddle and many of those are not used in ASL at
all, but they are used in other signed languages around the world. So
each country has to pick and choose the symbols they need to write
with. And if the handshape really isn't there, then I add that new
handshape to the symbolset myself...and so we keep building more and
more handshapes...

I have trouble understanding word-descriptions. Can you post
illustrations of your Ethiopian Manual Alphabet? Then I can find the
symbols for you...but reading the words is hard for me to be sure it
is what you want...So either pictures or drawings or video is what we
need to write something properly, since Ethiopian Sign Language is
new for us...

Maybe you have a little card that shows the Manual Alphabet easily?
Can you scan that into the computer and post it to the SignWriting
List? Many thanks!