[sw-l] DIAGONAL PLANE Hands for Detailed Writing

Sandy Fleming sandy at SCOTSTEXT.ORG
Tue Mar 1 17:40:38 UTC 2005

Ah, now this is where things start to get difficult, because it's in a
foreign language to me. There's no way I can tell that the hands aren't held
strictly in the floor plane - as a BSLer I'd probably red this as "toast"
:)  It's not exavtly the same but it's the nearest sign I could think of.

So perhaps the more detailed kind of writing would also be appropriate for
learners' books - not people learning SignWriting, people who already know
SignWriting and are using it to learn a foreign language - not just for
researchers.

Sandy
  -----Original Message-----
  From: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
[mailto:owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu]On Behalf Of Charles Butler
  Sent: 01 March 2005 17:11
  To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
  Subject: Re: [sw-l] DIAGONAL PLANE Hands for Detailed Writing

    Sign for mountain.  The hands move diagonally up forward twice.  One
could write it with a double-curve up as well, but I think of this as
"straight" movement.

  Charles Butler

  Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> wrote:
    SignWriting List
    March 1st, 2005

    On Mar 1, 2005, at 8:25 AM, Sandy Fleming wrote:
    > It's not that I'm a researcher but that the software I'm writing does
    > allow
    > for the sort of fine control that researchers might need, so I should
    > know
    > how to do this.

    OK. But I want to be sure that teachers of Deaf children understand
    that the handshapes on the Diagonal Plane are unnecessary for everyday
    writing...this is only for detailed writing....Because for everyday
    writing, we already have movement symbols on the Diagonal Plane, and
    that is enough to get the Diagonal Plane written...to Review the
    Movement Symbols on the Diagonal Plane, start at this web page:

    http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/lessonsw/arrows/arrow017.html

    and it goes for several pages...

    or...start here...

    http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/lessonsw/112%20Straight-Movement.html

    and it goes for several pages...

    OK. Next message I will show you the hand symbols...