RES: RES: [sw-l] Doubt about Sign

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Mar 4 23:31:31 UTC 2005

Sergio, and all...

This is the claw hand you are writing, looking down on your hand.  You see a white palm looking up.  There is no "split" of the hand is the hand must be sticking OUT from your body to be split.

Compare this sign for "cherish".  The claw hand faces the body, goes down and closes to an "A" hand.

  Now look at homem
  The hand is shown UNDER the chin, grasping it and brushing down.

I think you may be wanting to show this sign where the hand holds the chin from the FRONT:

The hand is facing the face, grasping the chin in front of the mouth, and them moving down and closing.  Is that what you want to show?  This is homem-2 in the Brasilian SignPuddle.

I'm not sure which dialect you are using.  I learned mine in Pelotas, but because it is close to "cherish", and all of the signers said that "homem" were correct, with the hand starting "under" the chin, I wrote what I saw.

Charles