[sw-l] Specialized SignBank Web Services

Mon Mar 7 00:53:47 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
March 6, 2005

Nancy Emery in Washington State wrote:
> I have been trying to transcribe a video tape but haven't arranged
> permission from the signer yet to post it.  I could send you some of
> the transcription if I could figure out how to send the graphics
> through e-mail - I am unfortunately easily intimidated by technology.
> It is being written in Signwriter Java since I don't know how else to
> be able to write something in which I can store classifier
> constructions, which wouldn't be in Signpuddle dictionaries as they
> are only created and meaningful in context.

I see. Well...this would be a perfect project for the SignBank Web
Services I was just talking about....Essentially you need a specialized
private SignPuddle that gives you the ability to add the video, once
you get permission, and to write each classifier in a special
classifier-SignPuddle...and that could then, if you want, be available
for viewing by the public, but they could not change anything...It
could be called a ASL Classifier Dictionary, by you and your research
co-workers...but those are just thoughts...and for us to set that up
for you would cost money, and right now you are doing this for free and
that is good too...

Nothing wrong with using SignWriter Java, which gives you the ability
to type sentences...the program has so many bugs though...it must be
hard for you...

Unless I see the video, I will have trouble checking your work, so when
the person gives you permission, let's arrange a way to send it to
me...You can call me and over the phone I can teach you how to send it
to me...

Thanks for your hard work, Nancy!

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWritingSite