[sw-l] Sign for HOUSE in BSL, NISL, ISL and Flemish Sign Language...

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at SUNEIDESIS.COM
Mon Mar 7 23:15:25 UTC 2005

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> wrote:

> ... I just went to Google and looked up BSL video and animated
> dictionaries on the web and I found learnbsl.org...Here is the sign for
> HOME...

Sandy/Shane may disagree but that isn't the common sign for HOME.
Certainly not the Southern England sign anyway.

> I am not sure how to find the sign for HOUSE in

If I've understood how the ASL sign for HOUSE is written then changing the
B hands to H hands is what we're after. Starting the sign with H" hands
straightening to H hands during the downward motion is one sign for HOME.
Although in spoken-component rich London ;-) the same sign for both HOUSE
and HOME could be used with "appropriately" different spoken components.

> their dictionary, but the animation is beautiful and a lot of signs can
> be written from this dictionary...I will be glad to write the sign for
> HOME and place it in the BSL SignPuddle for you...

I think Sandy/Shane/I should verify those signs before any attempt is made
to create puddles. Some Schools for the Deaf have very idiosyncratic
signs; Shane mentioned Margate School recently --- some of their signs
look very bizarre to the rest of us almost as if they come from a
different signed language.

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!