[sw-l] BSL for rain

Shane Gilchrist Ó hEorpa shane.gilchrist.oheorpa at FRANCISMAGINN.ORG
Tue Mar 8 20:43:51 UTC 2005

Does the palm face the floor (floor pane) or the wall (wall pane)?

Am interested in that sign as it’s also the sign for Belfast in NISL

Shane

  _____

From: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
[mailto:owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu] On Behalf Of Charles Butler
Sent: 08 March 2005 15:41
To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Subject: Re: [sw-l] My Thumbs Hurt!

Is this what you were looking for Sandy?

 rain <http://signbank.org/signpuddle/sgn-US/dict/sl/rain.png>

The simple open hand is under the "5" hand (fifth group) down.

<http://signbank.org/signpuddle/sgn-US/symbol.php?sss=01-05-004-01-05-01&col
or=000000>  this rotation is from the side on the hand you used.  I could
see using it as a black palm to show the same thing as your "rain" sign.
It's difficult to show a "spread" hand and a hand with the thumb sticking
out and still make it "instantly" readable.

Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org> wrote:

List,

I just put the sign for rain in the BSL dictionary, like this: .

What has happened to the hand in the IMWA that the thumb is sticking out at
right angles from the back of the palm? This makes no sense to me but I
couldn't find the old handshape with a completely black palm and the thumb
drawn as a line on the opposite side to the baby finger.

Is the sign as I've written it correct (the palms should be facing down,
though slightly angled in the direction of motion), or is the simple spread
hand handshape still available?

Sandy