[sw-l] Parkhurst phrase symbols

Thu Mar 10 21:24:18 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
March 10, 2005

Stuart Thiessen wrote:
> I wondered if you included the phrase symbols in IMWA that the
> Parkhursts used when you have a set of facial expressions that hold
> through a sequence of signs. I was working in SignText and was looking
> to find those symbols. I don't know what others think about marking
> facial expressions this way, but I found it helpful.

Yes. Those symbols are called Unit-Connecting-Lines in Sutton Movement
Writing. They are not just for Facial Expressions, although that may be
the way that Steve applied those symbols. Here is how to find them in
the IMWA...The corner-like symbol can be combined with a straight line
and then the other corner...so you piece them together depending on how
long your unit is, that you are connecting...see diagram...