[sw-l] National Deaf Latino Conference 2005

Sun Mar 13 17:58:41 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
March 13, 2005

Hi - This is Leticia Dominguez and I am a workshop coordinator at the
conference, we are having our second annual Deaf Latino conference and
it will be in Albuquerque, New Mexico. I am including two attachments
and hope you will be able to be part of this conference. If you know
anyone who would be great presenters at our conference, please pass it
along to someone or perhaps to have yourself to share with us about
your project - SignWriting Literacy and how your children react and any
academic barrier because of cultural or something... I am very much
interesting with this topic and would like to hear more of this. I am
sure the participators would learn something from this.
  I am currently a teacher at California School for the Deaf, Riverside
where it has large population of Latino Deaf children there. I hope to
meet you in person someday.

Gracias,
Leticia Dominguez
NDLC 2005
Workshop Coordinator
Lelemylele at aol.com

Saludo,

As chairperson of the NDLC, I am proud to announce our conference will
be held in Albuquerque, New Mexico on during the weekend of June 30 -
July 3, 2005.  The conference theme will be: "The Kaleidoscope of the
Deaf Latino Community."

The NDLC aims to bring together people who are involved with Spanish,
American Sign Language and English to cover issues related to
multi-cultural social obstacles that affect our daily lives.  The
conference will reflect the goals of the National Latino Conference as
it relates to:

*
* Communication
* Culture
* Technology
* Consumer issues

* Mental health Services
* Education of and by the deaf
* Finance and legal rights for interpreting with ASL and MSL

Registering for the conference by May 31, 2005 will qualify you for the
reduced conference fee of $120 per person.  Registration after May 31,
2005 will be $150.  The conference fee includes a program, all the
workshops, break refreshments, exhibit access, Friday evening
reception, Saturday evening banquet, and the special performance on
Saturday night.  We also offer individual daily registration for $90.
The individual daily rate includes access to all events scheduled for
that day.

The Doubletree Hotel has been selected as our conference headquarters,
located in the heart of Downtown Albuquerque.  The hotel is only seven
minutes from the Albuquerque International Airport. Historic Old Town,
Route 66, Galleria Shops, Civic Plaza, the Natural History Museum and
the Albuquerque Museum, are all nearby.  The hotel charges a daily room
rate for this conference of $69 dollars a night for up to four
individuals per room if you make reservations before May 31, 2005.  The
Doubletree Hotel's address is 201 Marquette, N.W in Albuquerque, New
Mexico 87102.  Feel free to call them at (505) 247-3344 or (888)
223-4113 to make reservations.  Be sure to mention that you are making
reservations in connection with the NDLC in June/July.  Further
information about the hotel can be found at
http://www.doubletreealbuquerque.com.

To request a presentation application packet, exhibit application
packet or if you have any questions, you can contact us VIA e-mail at
NDLC05 at aol.com, or by mail at:
NDLC, c/o Matt Martinez
PO Box 10610
Beaumont, TX 77710-0610

The deadline to submit completed presentation application packets
and/or exhibit application packets is March 31, 2005.

Gracias,
Matt Martinez
NDLC Chairperson

--------------------------------------

You may contact Matt Martinez at ndlc05 at aol.com for a registration
packet.

Media:	If requested, an overhead projector and screen and/or television
and VCR will be provided for you. Any additional media required for
your presentation is your responsibility and WILL NOT be provided by
the NDLC’05 conference. LCD projectors, computers, slide projectors and
other media WILL NOT be provided for you (no exceptions). You must
bring your own.

Copies:	Each presenter is responsible for providing any handouts
necessary for his/her presentation. Duplication WILL NOT be available
at the conference.

Send &	    Lele Dominguez		19981 Promenade Circle	Riverside, CA 92508
Questions to:	lelemylele at aol.com

Deadline:	Proposals must be postmarked, or e-mailed by March 31, 2005!
*Extended to April 30, 2005…
Presenter(s) Information (page 1)

PLEAE TYPE OR PRINT CLEARLY
The Program Committee is looking for a broad range of topics to fill
sections of the
following strands.
Please check the strand(s) that best match your proposed presentation:
_  Education				_  Communication
	_  Deaf Culture			_  Technology
	_  Deaf Consumer Issues		_  Mental Health
	_  Deaf Service			_  ASL
	_  LSM					_  Interpreting
	_  Finance				_  Legal Rights

Up to two (2) presenters will be accepted for each workshop. Additional
presenters are
welcome to assist, however, will not be recognized in the program or
given reduced
conference registration fees. Please type or print clearly the
following information for
ONLY one or two presenters:

Title of your presentation:

Your title should:
1) reflect the content of our
presentation
2) be understandable to a “general”
Call for Papers: The Kaleidoscope of the Deaf Latino Community
National Deaf Latino Conference 2005
Call for Papers: The Kaleidoscope of the Deaf Latino Community
National Deaf Latino Conference 2005 – July 1 – 2, 2005
Double Tree Hotel – Albuquerque, NM

Become a part of this year’s NDLC’05 conference – “The Kaleidoscope of
the Deaf Latino Community”  -- the goal of this conference is to bring
people together who are involved with Spanish, American Sign Language
and English to cover issues related to tri-cultural social obstacles
that affect our daily lives.  Become a presenter and share information
which help Deaf and Hard of Hearing and their families succeed… in the
colorful world of our Deaf Latino community.

Topics: 	Topics should include issues that reflect the goal of National
Deaf Latino Conference as it relates to communication, Deaf culture,
technology, Deaf consumer issues, mental health, Deaf services,
education of the Deaf, ASL, LSM, finance, legal rights and
interpreting.

Format: 	Concurrent sessions are 45 minutes long and include 15 minutes
for introductions, discussion, questions and evaluations.

Proposal: 	Four (4) copies of the proposal and abstract (all 3 pages)
are required and must be turned in at the time of your application
submission.

Application	Completed applications must be postmarked by March 31,
2005. Extended to
Deadline: 	April 30 2005. Acceptance notifications will be sent to the
main applicants only by May 5, 2005.
Fee and 	Presenters selected from the Call for Papers will not be paid
an honorarium or be
Expenses:   	reimbursed for expenses.

Conference	If your proposal is accepted and you wish to attend the
conference before and
Registration: after your presentation, you will be required to pay a
reduced conference rate (only available for the first two presenters).
If you do not wish to attend the conference, you are   	    audience,
						3) be no more than 15 words in length
Presentation Mode (check one):
      _ ASL	_ Spoken English

Audiovisual Needs (check as many as apply):
      _ Overhead Projector		_ Screen		_ TV			_ VCR
			Presentation Information (page 2)

Biographical Information:
Please include a brief biographical sketch (25 words or less) for each
presenter that can
be printed in the conference program book:

Presentation Abstract (page 3)

Please provide the following information about the proposed paper:

Title of Presentation:

Program Description: (30 words or less, as you wish it to appear in the
program)

Objectives (What do you want the audience to learn?)

Content (What material is to be presented?)

Presentation Format (How are you going to present this information?
Specifications for room set-up?)