[sw-l] Translation requested in ASL...

Tue Mar 15 17:19:39 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
March 15, 2005

Sandy Fleming wrote:
> Could I ask what we usually mean when we ask for a song to be
> translated?
> Do we mean a transliteration that we could use to sign along with the
> English words, or do we mean one in ASL?

Hello Sandy and Everyone -
I have no clue what Louise wanted...She is a stranger who just wrote
and requested a translation...it may be that she has never seen signs
in her life and has some idea that it is fingerspelling or
something...who knows?! So that was why I asked people to write to
her...but of course there are different ways to do
translations...transliteration and translation are different...the
terms may not mean much to a person who is new to sign language
though...Val ;-)