[sw-l] Adding Classifiers to SignPuddle Dictionaries

Stephen Slevinski slevinski at SIGNWRITING.ORG
Tue Mar 15 23:41:58 UTC 2005

Hi Val,

I think she was refering to sending mail with SignPuddle.  When you send
mail, you use gloss.  You have no chance to modify the signs.

This will change.  In the future, you will be able to build emails
interactively.  First you could search for signs (by gloss or symbol),
modify the sign (using SignMaker), and then add it to the email.  When this
is possible, having general classifiers in a dictionary would be more
useful.

-Stephen

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
[mailto:owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu]On Behalf Of Valerie Sutton
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 6:23 PM
To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Subject: Re: [sw-l] Adding Classifiers to SignPuddle Dictionaries

SignWriting List
March 15, 2005

On Mar 15, 2005, at 2:26 PM, Nancy Emery wrote:
> But for actually using them - since the location, movement and
> orientation
> have to be added anyway, since they depend on what is being said with
> the
> classifier, I'm not sure that it would be much more helpful to take the
> handshape from the dictionary than just to compose the sign from
> scratch....
> It's just that in certain texts some classifier constructions are used
> over
> and over, and it is nice to be able to cut, paste and modify rather
> than
> rebuild the whole thing.  But I don't know that dictionary signs can be
> modified by the user anyway...

Signs can be modified in the public SignPuddles, if you are a
Dictionary Editor with a password. I can invite you to be an Editor, if
you wish, and you could try to enter a few classifiers and then point
us to them on the web and we can all look at them...how about that? A
good way to discuss the issue...