[sw-l] New Signs in BSL Dictionary

Wed Mar 16 01:10:45 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
March 15, 2005

Sandy Fleming wrote:
> Meanwhile, if anyone feels like checking my new signs for spelling
> mistakes and discussing them on the list, that would be great!

Great, Sandy and Shane -
This is the perfect opportunity to discuss the other sign for HOUSE
that Shane sent to me, in a video...The videos were very dark for some
reason...so the photos are not so good in this diagram, but you can see
the plam facing. Sandy's writing has a different palm facing than
Shane's at the end of the sign...perhaps that is just a stylistic
difference, or a dialectical difference? Should we have both versions
in the dictionary? Look at the way Val would write it ...Here in the US
there are many people who change the palm facing of the ASL sign too,
at the end of the sign, when it goes down, but we do not bother to
write the finishing position, since people recognize the sign without
it...we just write the first position and people read the sign just
fine...

So which version is best for Deaf children in a BSL coloring book?....