[sw-l] Videos or DVDs...which do you prefer?

Lucyna Dlugolecka deafie at GMX.NET
Fri Mar 18 21:04:12 UTC 2005

> I am curious...How many classrooms are equipped with video equipment
> and/or DVDs? For example, Kathleen and Sara in Belgium, or Shane in
> Northern Ireland, or Ingvild in Norway, or Honza in the Czech Republic, or
> Lucy in Poland...what format works best for your classrooms?...video in
> PAL format, or DVDs?...do you have DVD equipment?...computers?...video
> players?...

I don't work at any school, only at a uni. But, my colleague Romuald Szurik
and I are currently giving a series of lectures on SW (Romuald focuses on
the practice, me - on the theory. In the end of March or in the beginning of
April I will give a speech on the genesis and the development of SW around
the world. The lectures are usually attended by interested students and
doctoral students but now we want to invite parents and teachers of Deaf
children.  I will be speaking about (among others) the SW Literacy Project,
hoping to make the teachers interested in SW... :-).
In Warsaw there are several schools for the Deaf but only one of them
focuses on bilingualism (other schools are oral with signed Polish as
supportive tool) - it is the oldest Polish school for the Deaf, Instytut
Gluchoniemych (Institute of the Deaf and Dumb, a historical name),
established in 1817. The Institute is an education center with kindergarten,
primary school, secondary school and grammar school).
I'm not well aware of what equipment is used in this Institute but generally
analogue and digital videos as well as DVDs are commonly used in Poland.
But, as Trevor wrote, the DVDs made in the USA can be unusable in other
countries due to their specific encryption. But I don't know a lot about
that.

Lucyna