[sw-l] CLASSIFIERS...ASL document from video

Mon Mar 21 20:25:22 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
March 21, 2005

Dear SW List!
Nancy Emery, from Washington State in the US, has been writing ASL
classifiers from a video. Nancy and I have been communicating about
this privately, and now Nancy has given me permission to share this
with you...

Nancy Emery wrote:
> thanks for the invitation to put some classifiers in the ASL
> dictionary, although I haven't done it - I was pretty busy at the
> time, and then Kathleen had great examples.  I don't feel the best
> qualified to decide how to label the handshapes, and the fuller
> classifier constructions (with eye gaze, movement and locations, etc)
> that I am using for my transcription I think would be too specialized
> for a general dictionary.

I understand, Nancy....I can see that....On the other hand, SignPuddle
dictionaries are unique because they are like a public forum for
sharing ideas and information...they are not formal dictionaries that
are set in stone...so you do not have to worry as much, about being
perfect...just having some classifiers in the ASL SignPuddle could be
useful, even if we re-name them later...

But right now I look forward to reading your document that was prepared
in SignWriter Java and Microsoft Word...

Oh my, Nancy!! Your Microsoft Word document is gorgeous (see
attached)...I will give you feedback ....see next message....