AW: [sw-l] how to write K

Lucyna Dlugolecka deafie at GMX.NET
Wed Mar 23 02:19:23 UTC 2005

Thank you very much Val, I like your last prop most. Lucy
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Valerie Sutton
  To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
  Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 12:39 AM
  Subject: Re: AW: [sw-l] how to write K

  SignWriting List
  March 21, 2005

  On Mar 21, 2005, at 3:13 PM, Stefan Wöhrmann wrote:

    Starting from parallel to the wall fingers upward I would choose the wristmovement arrow as is shown in the attached gif
    I try to express the same movement as you describe with the downward arrow ..

  Yes, I noticed that version of forward-wrist-flex in the Polish SignPuddle...So let me explain why I write it with a down wrist-flex...

  Let us imagine that you place your fingers and hand in a can of black paint. You will paint the path of the movement on what plane? I believe that the hand starts parallel to the wall, and to get to the forward position of the finishing position of the hand, it has no choice but to paint the path of the fingers going down parallel to the wall, until the hand is parallel to the floor...So for me, the movement still feels like it is down, not forward....I can imagine my fingernails making a black line down the front wall to get into that forward ending position...Anyway...if you disagree that is ok! These two are very close, that is for sure, and it may be that both would be read ok...see diagram...I wrote this at the bottom of the diagram...