[sw-l] CLASSIFIERS...ASL document from video

Thu Mar 24 00:06:24 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
March 23, 2005

Hi Nancy and Everyone!
Everything you say below is fine and I can see that you are right, that
there are different kinds of classifiers and locative classifiers do
use the tension symbol but from what you say below, it sounds like not
all classifiers are locative and therefore I need to also update my own
manual about writing classifiers too...so a good thought for the
future...

Now, one thing I want you all to know...I have 4 beautifully-signed ASL
stories signed by a native ASL Deaf signer...Darline Clark
Gunsauls...and all four are for anyone to use, if you wish to write
classifiers in ASL...Golidlocks is the first story out of the four (we
all know that one! ;-), but the three others have never been
written....Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, and the last one, Snow White,
is very advanced with advanced classifiers...I am sorry you have chosen
a video we do not have permission to post, Nancy, because it is really
hard for me to know what you are trying to write...so any time you
would like to write some of our four ASL stories, you are welcome to do
so...and we can post portions of the video while we do it...

I am planning to get back to writing the One Harbor poem in ASL which
Stefan has already written, and I want to write it too, and then after
that, I was thinking of tackling the Snow White story, which is very
long and will end up being a thick book. Darline goes on and on
describing, with classifiers, the way each of the seven dwarfs looked,
and how they would peer over the bed post to stare at Snow White and
each dwarf's personality peered over the bed post in their own unique
way...Darline deserves an academy award for the performance, which is
close to being acting...very delightful really...but to write it will
be an advanced experience for all of us!

Anyway, maybe next time, before you start writing, we should be sure we
have permission to post the video piece you choose to
write...smile....Val ;-)