[sw-l] Belfast Easter

Fri Mar 25 17:51:29 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
March 25, 2005

Shane Gilchrist Ó hEorpa in Belfast wrote:
> In Ireland, we call Maundy Thursday "Holy Thursday" - most pubs here
> are
> closed on Good Friday - not a very good idea!!!

Ha! Just the idea of a Pub seems so European to me...here we call them
Bars...and they are not as much of a part of our culture, as Pubs are
in Northern Europe...I used to go to pubs in Denmark, while I lived
there, but here, in the US, I would never go to a bar...strange how
cultures are different...

The rest of the history below in your message, Shane, is sooo
different...I knew nothing about half of it...sounds kind of awful,
actually...a little violent, and connected with uprisings and political
happenings...Wow! I had no idea...smile...

Val ;-)