[sw-l] how much is used SW in your country?

Mon Mar 28 22:04:22 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
March 28, 2005

Honza and Everyone -
How many people use SignWriting? SignWriting is used by small groups of
people and in classrooms in 30 countries...and each country
varies...for example in Switzerland there are two Sign Languages....so
not all countries have just one Sign Language...

Numbers? We get around 3000 to 5000 unique visitors to our SignWriting
web sites daily...that is not Hits...I am talking about individual
different email or IP addresses...so that is a good number. Thousands
of people have downloaded our software over the years, but I cannot
prove how many people use it...I would guess 8,000 to 10,000 people use
SignWriting around the world...but it may be more...

How many people on the SignWriting List? That does not matter, since
there are many more users that have never heard of the SignWriting
List! The List has from 100 to 200 people depending on the day and
time. People leave and come on the List constantly...I know...I am the
manager of the List and I watch people subscribe and unsubscribe again
and again, depending on their tech support needs...so the List is a
special group of people who all have computers and can ask for tech
support that way...

Meanwhile, as far as I know, I believe that the majority of SignWriting
users do not use computers, but write by hand...smile...

In Spain, they have taught around 500 Deaf adults over the years....to
give you an example of numbers from each country...if you multiply 500
by 30 countries, you get around 15,000 people. The question is how many
continue to use it after they learn it...and that can only be proved
over time -

Hope this helps!  Val ;-)