[sw-l] SSS and IMWA

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Mar 30 13:45:03 UTC 2005

My understanding of the difference is in their names.

SSS is Sign Symbol Sequence, an ordering system to the various characters of SignWriting(R).  It is only those characters used for writing signed languages, not other systems of movement such DanceWriting(R) and SportsWriting(R).

IMWA is the International Movement Writing Alphabet, a set of symbols taking into account the entire system of Movement Writing, which is larger than the set used for everyday Sign Writing.

While the IMWA is connected to the SSS, that is not the only possible ordering, only a technique that helps to ensure that all handshapes used in a given sign language are structured.

The IMWA is parallel to the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) used to write down all human utterance in speech.  The IMWA has the capability of writing down ALL movement of things that move (humans, animals, insects, presumably machines).  As the larger of the two systems of SSS and IMWA, any sign language can draw upon the larger system if it needs to show critical differences in signs (examples such as touching the lower leg, patting oneself on the back, and movements from dance and ballet that often do not occur in a given sign language).

Does that help?

Charles Butler

Lucyna Dlugolecka <deafie at gmx.net> wrote:
Well, I am preparing my lecture on SW and I would like to know what is the difference between SSS and IMWA... I have read the definitions but I can't find the difference..

Lucyna

GG 3618151 SMS +48505273292