=?UTF-8?Q?Re:_[sw-l]_POLAND..._thank_you_for_your_help,_Easter, _?= ż, s

Wed Mar 30 15:38:18 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
March 30, 2005

Lucyna Dlugolecka wrote:
> First of all, I want to tell you that I spent Easter with my parents,
> 400 km/ca. 250 away from Warsaw. I couldn't be online all the time
> there, the connection was possible only with the dial-up, so I
> downloaded the postings but couldn't answer to them right away, and
> so, I had prepared my last mail with the video clips before I read
> your last mails in which you suggested how to write Ż and S.

That is fine, Lucy. I hope you enjoyed your Easter with your family!!

> As to the Easter customs I described - well, I know we all are
> interested in SW but I just wanted to refer to what others had written
> :-). And making a webpage is not so difficult (Val, you yourself made
> the website with SW Easter cards :-)), as I have my personal website
> with photo albums and I just thought I would make an additional album
> with Easter photos. And I have done it but put only 4 photos there. If
> you are interested, you can see the album at
> http://lucyna.dlugolecka.webpark.pl/easter.html .I
> Photos are better than a written history :-). Writing in English is so
> easy... (English is much easier than Polish) and if I had written the
> history in PJM, you could not read it :-))

No. But it would prove that Polish Sign Language can become a written
language, and with English near the written PJM, people could
understand it ;-)

Yes...I have done web design since 1996, but it is not the same as the
standardized web pages you are doing...where you can upload photos and
the web design in the background, is already done for you by the web
server...In my case, I do everything from scratch, and web postings
take me a long time....

I enjoyed visting your web page, Lucy - thanks for sharing!! The Polish
food looked yummy!!

> Ok, now to Ż. Of course, my symbol was totally wrong. So, know you
> know that the whole hand is moving... Yes, we don't fingerspell as
> slow as I do on the clip but first I did it slow and then saw it was
> not much readable for "strangers", so I re-did it slower and larger
> :-)

I see. Now I understand. You did it twice? I couldn't figure out where
the sign ended...I think I blended it with the repeat you did...so I
guess in the future...just one sign done once per video will help
foreigners like me! smile...But it was great to see your picture and to
meet you face to face!! ;-)

> Val, I can accept your suggestion No. 4 but I have a question. What
> does the tension exactly mean? I thought it means a classifier...

No! The Tension Symbol is used for many many different kinds of
signs...not just classifiers! It is used for any Tense movement, for
example, when you are making a point in the air, like a PERIOD at the
end of a sentence would be a quick tense point movement in the
air...and that will use the Tension Symbol...

Regarding classifiers...Before now, I thought that all classifiers had
a need for tension, when placing something in the air, there is a tense
ending to the movement...but then Nancy taught me that some classifiers
do not have the tension...

So anyway...the Tense Symbol is not just for classifiers...it is used
to show Tension in general and can be placed on Facial Expressions and
also above movement symbols and above hand shapes...any time it is
needed...