[sw-l] LITERACY Project Report, Belgium (Flanders)

Wed May 4 14:32:55 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
May 4, 2005

Flemish SignWriting Literacy Project continued...

We also adjusted the ASL to VGT. The children loved the drawings and
the sign for ‘house’ was pretty clear to them. The first question most
children had was: ‘Can we color the drawings?’. So we think that’s a
big success.

The kids also liked writing the symbols and signs. Some children had
more difficulties doing so because they did not know how to begin
writing the symbols. What to draw first, how to start making this
shape. We saw children making minor mistakes, they forgot to color the
handshape black or forgot a thumb... but by doing so, we could show the
children the effect of writing a mistake. If you forget a thumb, you
get a whole diffrent handshape. And the meaning of the sign can even
change....