[sw-l] LITERACY Project Report, Belgium (Flanders)

Wed May 4 18:42:30 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
May 4, 2005

> Flemish SignWriting Literacy Project continued...

2. Goldilocks & The Three Bears, SW Level 2
Basic ASL Storybook

a. Were your students ready for this book, when they finished SW Level
1? If not, what was lacking in their knowledge, that made it too
advanced for them?

Yes, the students were ready for this book. We did not make level 2 too
complicated so it was not too difficult for them to read it. We
discovered that we can take as much or little time as we want to work
with the level 1 book. So once the children are familiar with the
concept of SignWriting and how it works, they can concentrate on
actually reading a story in short sentences. We feel it is important
the children really understand what SignWriting is and that it’s
purpose is to READ before they start in the level 2 book.

b.How did the students react to reading complete sentences in ASL? Was
it hard for them, or was it an easy experience for them?

At first the children mostly focused on the signs individually. After
they understood each sign we made them read the sentence again. Because
it is in VGT, their first language, it was fairly easy for the kids to
understand what they were reading. But as with learning to read in any
given language. You first learn to read without much understanding and
after a lot of practice comes the comprehention of what you are
reading.

What is diffrent for the children between reading this book or reading
any book in Dutch is that it’s much easier for them to understand the
Goldilocks books. They know the signs so well, while a lot of Dutch
words still have to be translated to a sign before they understand what
it is.

If the kids see this word:    HUIS

They first have to think what it is. What is the sign for this word?
They have to translate into another language... from Dutch to
VGT.

But if they see this sign: