[sw-l] History of Symbol Development

Fri May 6 15:15:52 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
May 6, 2005

Bill Reese wrote:
> It's not necessary for a new symbol Val.  The simplicity and
> unambiguity of the current Eyes Open symbol makes them preferable.  I
> was curious more about the history.  Did you start out with oval eyes?

It is so nice to hear from you again, Bill...

Actually we don't have Oval Eyes...I believe that was your suggestion,
yesterday...so no... I confess, I did not start with Oval eyes..that
would be an addition to the symbolset...

The history of the eyes goes back to DanceWriting development in 1973
and 1974...we were using these exact same Eye symbols from the IMWA
back in 1974, in DanceWriting documents. As you know, the first signed
language I wrote was not ASL...it was Danish Sign Language (DSL). And I
remember using the Eye symbols in that DSL document in 1974 at the
University of Copenhagen...

The Eye symbols were very simple and could fit into a smaller Facial
Circle, used in DanceWriting documents...I know I started with the
first three in this list, and then the others became necessary...the
eyelashes came from a dance where the dancer was batting her eyelashes
at her male dance partner...I am not kidding...we placed a trembling
line near the eyelashes to show the movement..smile...

So the half-open and half-closed came from a combination of the squint
and the open or closed...I can see this answer is a little
confusing...the History of symbols is an interesting subject and should
be documented at some point...when we have nothing to do! Thanks for
your input Bill...