AW: [sw-l] Symbol Frequency with SignPuddle

Sat May 7 05:45:15 UTC 2005

Hi Valerie, Stephen, ...

just one additional comment – if you are interested ...

while preparing my presentations I am busy to study lots of documents I can
get hold of – tonight I found this sentence from an wonderful article
written by Steve Parkhurst comparing several different notation systems –

Eight criteria for choosing the system of representation

that best meets your sign language needs

Well I am not in need to compare any writing system (smile) since I am
convinced that no other system meets my criteria as a teacher for DEAF
students better than SW (smile) – so I should concentrate on improving my
spelling and soing my homework.

Nevertheless – this paragraph from Steve Parkhurst´s paper is an interesting
historic document. Due to your immense achievements in the area of software
programming these criteria that might prevent other people from becoming
interested in using SW for their purposes are no longer true ... ha and in
the meantime SW is very well known – in Germany and elsewhere  ;-)))

.... “

1.	Because this system can be easily written and read there is a
potentially high motivation to use this system. However, since it is not
well known, and looks very different from the spoken language, many are
skeptical of its practical value. Linguists are also hesitant to embrace SW
because of the current lack of supporting software and the complications
this system presents in the manipulation of data.  “

 ;-)))  ... and Valerie - from this point of view I can understand your
point of view much better –

Have a great day

Stefan ;-)

  _____