AW: [sw-l] SignWriting Art from Christoph, age 11, in Germany ; -)

Sun May 8 14:03:10 UTC 2005

Hi Shane,

yes you are right - the political correct term for DEAF is "gehoerlos"
hearing-impaired  (= hoergeschaedigt) hard of hearing (schwerhoerig)

Your statement about CI in Denmark is hard to believe. Yesterday I got
answer from Prof. Gisela Szagun  a very famous osychologist who ran a survey
on speechdevelopment in children after CI implantation.

Fact is - that some of the children will be able to develop an almost
"normal" spoken language development. (All these studies  do not mention -
as far as I know - the psycholocial aspects in the long run - but focus on
hearing and speaking)

Quite a lot of these children however will spent hours, weeks, months and
even years in a state of comunicative deprivation.

It is rediculous and wrong to keep SL away from them. The contrary is right!
And we can proof that -- smile!

So again intense use of GebardenSchrift-Documents enabled these children to
compare there knowledge of SL with their knowledge of Spoken Language
beautifully!

Go ahead and start with SW memory cards,  hand shapes, Mundbilder (! yes!),
name signs, single signs  - like hello, where, good morning ... the very
first day at your new project - I can tell and show more about that at
Brussels!

And well - the fact that all of my sons (even little Godian -age 6 now) had
been my teacher to demonstrate how easy little children can remember and
read these signs - has had a major impact on my attitude and enthusiasm.

Today Gordian (6 years) sat down and produced this darling maenniken -
picture) Can you imagine? He will start school in September but he is
absolutey fluent and competent in remembering and finding all the tiny
symbols, he can shift between typing letters and signwriting , he can use
the dictionary perfectly - word order like spoken language (smile), so from
his idea inside his head until saving (alt + s) his work he proofes his
ability to handle this software progam perfectly. In this case he even took
care of the fill of the hand shape (smile!!) So he develops kind of
consciousness about the meaning of the fills. ( I did not realise that
before)
The written words are German following more a kind of phonetic code - but
you see - he already chooses to type single words instead of endless rows of
letters.

I love to see these maenniken ...

 So yes - even hearing or hard of hearing children can take an advantage out
of the use of SW --

Stefan ;-)