[sw-l] Learn SignWriting by Videophone ;-)

Sun May 8 15:07:37 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
May 8, 2005

Stefan Wöhrmann wrote:
> so you made it with your teaching-group. How was it going. Can you
> give a short feedback?
> Has SW been well known in this  group of students. Aha and oho and big
> smiles – during the lecture??

Hello Everyone!
Thanks for these questions, Stefan...It was quite an experience and a
wonderful one too!!

If a school has broadband (very fast internet connection), like I do,
and if the school owns the D-Link videophone, I can teach SignWriting
to a classroom for free, in person, over the videophone now. It is a
new era, and yesterday, for us, made history, because it was the first
time that SignWriting was taught via videophone...

Of course I know that most classrooms do not have this fast internet
connection. DSL is not as stable as cable-modems. I have cable wired in
my home, and I know that it will be a long time before most classrooms
can do this....On the other hand, there are some now that can, so I
plan to offer this service to anyone who can manage it...

And from my point of view, it felt very much like the old days, when I
would get in a car and drive two hours north to present SignWriting for
one hour to a classroom of hearing students in a college...Except this
time, I didn't have to waste gasoline and put stress on my car - ha!

I had to clean up my office though...smile...so they did not see a mess
behind me on the videophone - ha!!

And there were a few technical difficulties...I will explain next
message...