[sw-l] Learn SignWriting by Videophone ;-)

Shane Gilchrist Ó hEorpa shane.gilchrist.oheorpa at FRANCISMAGINN.ORG
Sun May 8 15:24:02 UTC 2005

Val,

Good - free SW lessons from Val - I ll go and buy me d-link!

Sx
From: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
[mailto:owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu] On Behalf Of Valerie Sutton
Sent: 08 May 2005 16:08
To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Subject: [sw-l] Learn SignWriting by Videophone ;-)

SignWriting List
May 8, 2005

Stefan Wöhrmann wrote:
so you made it with your teaching-group. How was it going. Can you give a
short feedback?
Has SW been well known in this  group of students. Aha and oho and big
smiles – during the lecture??

Hello Everyone!
Thanks for these questions, Stefan...It was quite an experience and a
wonderful one too!!

If a school has broadband (very fast internet connection), like I do, and if
the school owns the D-Link videophone, I can teach SignWriting to a
classroom for free, in person, over the videophone now. It is a new era, and
yesterday, for us, made history, because it was the first time that
SignWriting was taught via videophone...

Of course I know that most classrooms do not have this fast internet
connection. DSL is not as stable as cable-modems. I have cable wired in my
home, and I know that it will be a long time before most classrooms can do
this....On the other hand, there are some now that can, so I plan to offer
this service to anyone who can manage it...

And from my point of view, it felt very much like the old days, when I would
get in a car and drive two hours north to present SignWriting for one hour
to a classroom of hearing students in a college...Except this time, I didn't
have to waste gasoline and put stress on my car - ha!

I had to clean up my office though...smile...so they did not see a mess
behind me on the videophone - ha!!

And there were a few technical difficulties...I will explain next message...