[sw-l] signtext

Wed May 11 23:28:17 UTC 2005

Hi Tini,

Thanks for speaking up.

If an offline version of SignText would be useful right now, I'll make
it happen sooner rather than later.
I actually need SignText myself for writing on SignPuddle.net., so this
is a good thing.

NOTE:  It will use the same technology as the current SignText.
You can access the latest information about SignText
<http://www.signpuddle.net/wiki/index.php/SignText> on SignPuddle.net.
<http://www.signpuddle.net>
Enter *SignText *in the *search *field and press *Go*.

SignText is a write once offline application.  It records a list of
signs created using the IMWA.  The screen works the same as SignMaker
with three extra special commands.

For horizontal writing, always use the center lane.  The Left Lane and
Right Lane are used for advanced vertical writing.

Lanes are used to record shifts in body weight from side to side.  It is
possible to have 5 or more lanes but that's unusual.  According to the
lessons of SignWriting, 3 lanes is the ideal.  Weight shifting is a
natural part of signing.  Skillfully using 3 lanes adds an easy to
follow spatial quality for some writing and performances.  Using 3 lanes
makes reading quick and natural, but some skill is required.

As you press lane buttons, you will build an on screen sign list.  This
display centers the whole sign and does not display the lane
information.  According to the rules of SignWriting, the head should be
placed in the middle of the sign lane.  This is the opposite of writing
horizontally where the heads must line up across the page.

After I update SignText, the display will be aligned in lanes correctly
and SignWriting approved.  Great for screen shots.

Pressing the SWML Output button will display the IMWA based markup
language you can use online and uploaded into dictionaries.  Highlight
and copy the text.  Use the import Icon on SignPuddle 1.0.

This is a proof of concept and will develop over time.

We could talk about SignText's strengths and weaknesses, but suffice to
say...

I'm on it,
-Steve